The Standard Dog-Proofer Kit utilizes our straight fence extensions to make your fence up to 3' taller. The fence extensions are 1 3/8" by 16 gauge galvanized steel finished with a high quality black powder coating. Welded to the arms are two mounting plates that work on any flat post, wall or fence surface. With U-Bolts the arms will secure to round and square metal posts making them ideal chain link fence extenders as well as working well with decorative aluminum and wrought iron and decorative steel fences. The fence extenders are covered with a strong poly fence material or heavy gauge welded wire that secures onto your fence.
Each 100' of kit comes with (12) Standard Dog-Proofer Fence Extenders (100) Heavy Duty Zip Ties and (1) 4' x 100' Heavy Duty Poly Fence or Heavy Gauge Welded Wire. A 50 foot kit comes with exactly half as many components.
Works on nearly all fence types:
If your dogs are aggressive or chewers, we offer a heavy gauge welded metal fence option. This is a
- (12) Standard Fence Extensions - 4' x 1 3/8" OD 16 gauge galvanized and black powder coated steel
- (1) 4' x 100' Fence Roll (poly mesh or welded wire) - black
- (200) Heavy Duty Zip Ties - black
*A50-foott kit comes with exactly half as many components.
The arms secure to wood posts with screws or lags, round metal posts (like for chain link) with U-Bolts, and square metal posts with Square U-Bolts. For square wood fence post corners, the Dog Arm Wood Fence Corner Adapters attach to an arm and orients the arm at the proper 45-degree angle for 90-degree corners.
Both fence options are secured to the Dog-Proofer arms with our black UV stable 120lb test Heavy Duty Zip Ties.
Chain Link Fences:
- You will need (2) U-Bolts of the appropriate size for to secure on Houdini-Proof arm to a round chain link post. We sell U-Bolts in sets of (2) so one set of U-Bolts is what you need to secure one arm.
- It is not easy to measure the diameter of round chain link posts due to post caps and top rails blocking access to the top edge of posts. Use a soft tape measure like used for sewing to measure the posts circumference... a circumference of about 5 1/4" = 1 5/8" post, a circumference of about 6" = 2" post, and a circumference of a about 7 5/16" = 2 1/2" post. Usually chain link fences have bigger posts at corners, end points and gates.
- The tubes for gates are usually a smaller (1 3/8" diameter) tube. Use a 1 5/8" U-Bolt to a gate tube. If you have a single door gate that will open in, you need one arm on both the gate hinge and latch-to posts and an arm on the gate on the latch side. A double door gate opening in would require that both gates have an arm where the gates meet. For outward opening gates, you need one on each gate post and one on each side of the gate. the arms on the gate need to be set higher so that when the gate opens the arms on the gate can pass over the arms on the posts.
Decorative Aluminum/Steel and Wrought iron Fences:
Use square U-Bolts to secure the arms to the posts. We sell the most common size of 2". Check your post size. you can also use self drilling/tapping screws or drill and use bolts. It is likely you will need to use self drilling/tapping screws or bolts at gates.
- Where possible, attach the arms to the posts with outdoor wood screws or lags. At corners, you may need our Corner Adaptor Kit as the corner arm needs to point at a 45 degree angle.
- Outward opening gates require an arm on both sides of the gate and those arms need to be higher than arms on the gate posts so the arms on the gate can swing over the arms on the posts.
- Inward opening gates require an arm on the gate posts and an arm on the gate on the latch side... Cut the fence between the arm on the latch post and the latch side of the gate and the gate will open.
Secure the arms to the wall with masonry fasteners (4 per arm).
If you have specific questions, call 888-280-4066 Mon-fri 9AM-5PM ET or email
Our dog was happily clearing the fence in our yard. We could see he thought it was pretty funny. We did not share the humor as we need him to be safe from various and sundry animals here in Maine. So we added the extension fence. It took us a couple of hours to install it and it has worked perfectly. We have a safe dog. That's all the counts. Very happy with this product.
Thanks for all your assistance regarding the order and I’m very satisfied with your product. I believe Matt(?) assisted me via numerous calls. With keep you in mind for referrals – our breed Airedale Terrier has a knack for wanting to be on the other side ‘of the fence’!
I could not be happier with this product. Our new dogs were able to easily jump the existing 4' chainlink fence. This was SO much cheaper (and easier) than replacing the exisiting fence with a taller one. I'm not handy at all and I had no problem installing it myself. It's durable and blends right in with the existing fence.